- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large white onion
- 2 hot peppers (or 1 jalapeno)
- 2 scallions
- 1tbs chopped garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2tbsp parsley
- 3 tbsp ground oats
- 2tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 small baked potato
- 1 dash hot sauce or sriracha
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, add the chopped onion, peppers, garlic and scallions as well as the cumin, parsley, paprika, salt and pepper to 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Cook until the onion is translucent. Add hot sauce or sriracha
- Drain and mix the chickpeas. In a medium bowl mash them with a fork or hands until broken down a bit, but not pasty like hummus.
- Add the onion mixture to the chickpeas and mix thoroughly. (Taste to make sure it doesn’t need any additional seasoning.)
- Next, add the ground oats to help bind.
- Then, mash the small baked potato, combine with the 2tbsp flaxseed and ¼ cup water.
- This will help create a solid binder for the burgers.
- Form burger sized shapes from the mixture and place on an oiled baking dish or cookie sheet.
- Drizzle the tops of the burgers with olive oil before baking at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 25 minutes.
- Makes about 3 burgers.
* This is served with baked onion rings, avocado, tomato on rye bread.
Onion ring recipe can be found here: http://forkandbeans.wordpress.com/2011/08/15/monday-chickpea-sloppy-joes-and-baked-onion-rings/