What new thing did I do today in honor of Vegan MoFo? I used pumpkin! Some of you might be like, “What…..” but really, I’ve never cooked with pumpkin before! I know, I know, it seems insane. I’ve used pumpkin seeeeeds but not actual pumpkin. I love pumpkin, though:; pie, sauteed, desserts, soup but I haven’t had the chance to use it myself. With a functioning kitchen and this new need to fit these crazy macros, I got a little creative and made protein pumpkin pancakes! Todays’ new is a recipe so double whammy 😉 Oil free, nut free, processed sugar free, gluten free, dairy free…. Sorry, it has soy! They came out pretty well, especially for my first try! Not as sweet as I would like it but, realistically, they’re perfectly fine – it’s just that, if it were up to me, I’d eat buckets of sugar all the time, every day. I really wanted to add PB or nuts but I need to get better about those kinds of things because it’s those little add-ons that get me into trouble. I still have a lot of pumpkin left so I’m sure I’ll be using it in other things throughout the week.
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 scoop Garden of Life vanilla protein powder
- 1TBS ground flax
- 2 Stevia packets
- ½ cup unsweetened vanilla soy milk
- 1/4tsp baking powder
- Dash of: pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg
- Mix everything in a bowl together.
- You might need to add some water to get a more pancake-y consistency but add just a tablespoon at a time and stir. It will be a thick batter, regardless, because it’s chickpea flour.
- Spray pan with coconut oil spray and turn on stove to medium-low heat.
- Pour batter into pan – makes about 4, thick 4” pancakes.
- Cook each side about 3-4 minutes, until nicely browned, flip! (They should be a little darker than mine pictured. Mine were still a little mushy inside. Good, but mushy.)
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, cinnamon, nuts, etc.