- 1 bag baby carrots
- 1 sweet onion
- 2 delicata squash
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 2tbs chopped garlic
- 2tbs Italian seasoning (or dried thyme/sage/parsley)
- dash of cayenne pepper
- dash of ginger
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat two baking sheets with nonstick spray.
- Cut the squash in half, scoop the seeds out and place cut side down onto a greased baking sheet. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until soft to the touch. Allow to cool, then scoop the squash flesh out of the skin using a large spoon and put in a large pot. Discard skin.
- In the other tray, dump the bag of carrots and sliced onion. Add the chopped garlic and Italian seasoning. Bake for about 40 minutes or until soft and add to the pot with the squash. (Make sure to get all that caramelized goodness!)
- Once the carrots and squash are in the pot, add the vegetable broth, soy milk, dash of dry ginger and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil, and cook for at least 10 minutes.
- Puree the mixture in the blender, or using an immersion blender. Add boiling water if necessary to thin, but bear in mind this is meant to be a thick creamy soup. Season with salt and pepper.
*Makes about 4 generous servings.